Wednesday, January 3, 2024

January 3--We Are Folks

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.  --Harper Lee

    I love this! What a fun way to express that we are all one, all here doing the best we can to live in this world in a motley assortment of bodies and living conditions. 
    I have especially run into this idea of "folks" at pickleball. I've played in several locations and I love the assortment of folks I encounter. Some are young and agile, some barely lumber around the court, many are seniors who move fairly well for their age. I've seen participants wearing cute outfits and jeans and everything in between. It's simply a bunch of folks moving and having fun. 
    I was raised in a family with a strong mindset of "us vs. them." The idea that there was "just one kind of folks" only applied to WASPs. Fortunately for me, I ended up with friends in all sorts of "folks" groups, so I have been able to release most of the prejudices of my youth. 
    Seeing everyone, including oneself, as just folks is, of course, a practice. 
        Leta

Our Mother's morning artwork in
Wichita yesterday 

No comments:

Post a Comment