Wednesday, January 24, 2024

January 24--Lower the Volume

Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.  --Rumi

    Who hasn't yelled at their kids? Possibly Jesus, but that was because he didn't have any (apparently). 
    Yes, I have been guilty of yelling at my kids. Comically and belatedly, the whole "don't raise your voice" thing was really brought home to me with dog ownership. Barney loves it when we yell. He gets wound up, excited, racing around, ready to play! That is generally the exact opposite of what we want. So I've learned to stay calm with him, most of the time. 
    Then there are times when one simply has to move some energy. If I am very frustrated, I enjoy the practice of yelling when I am driving alone in the Spaceship (our RAV4). Roaring like a lion is my favorite style of private venting. I can release a lot of random annoyances that way, which helps to keep my interactions with others in the more pleasant range. 
    Both flowers and humans grow better without yelling.
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment