Saturday, January 13, 2024

January 13--Complication Unnecessary

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.  --Dalai Lama XIV

    As I write this, I am enjoying breakfast and coffee at MOXI Junction in Maize, Kansas, my favorite coffee shop. I am upstairs and there are two sets of fathers and daughters up here playing games together. This makes my heart sing. It reminds me of all the precious time I had riding in the lumber truck with my dad making deliveries. We didn't have GPS in those days, but somehow that truck always knew where the ice cream stand was on the way home. 
    I also learned yesterday that I am going to be a great-great-aunt again. JOY!
    Back to today's quote. I appreciate the simplicity of the Dalai Lama. I have officially (to myself anyway) become a "none." That is the term in use these days to describe folks with no religious affiliation. My spiritual practice is rich and rewarding. I don't need someone telling me what to believe or what I can or cannot do to "get into heaven." I'm fully aware that everything I believe could be complete bullshit, but that knowing keeps me humble. 
    I believe in ice cream,
        Leta
Black raspberry custard,
my favorite choice on the truck rides with Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment