Sunday, May 8, 2022

May 8--Flavor

Happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness; it has no taste. 
  --Charlotte Bronte

    Happy Mother's Day to all manner and variety of mothers out there!
    Given the mention of "taste," I'm choosing to write about breaking bread together and happiness. In my younger years, I loved it when our whole family came together at our house for holiday meals. Mom went all out both with quantity and variety of foods. For the Millers, eating was a competitive sport. When the whole family was together, we were fairly well behaved in terms of conversation. Then there were the daily meals including just Mom, Dad and me. Those rest in my memory as times of either nasty fighting or vicious silence. I ate too much or not enough. I was told often, "You'd be really cute if you'd lose weight. Here, eat some more." It's no wonder I developed the extreme desire to eat alone so that I could have some peace with my best friend, food.  
    It was so wonderful to get away from home and learn to enjoy mealtimes with friends. I was able to learn that the priority was to enjoy and share happiness with my dining companions rather than to be obsessed with the food. What a delightful change!
    Happiness tastes better than any food,
        Leta

Family, friends and happiness!
Oh, yes, and tasty food, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment