Tuesday, May 17, 2022

May 17--Sit Down Quietly

Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.  --Nathaniel Hawthorne

    I'm taking an online course titled "Breathing Under Water" related to addiction, the 12-Steps and spirituality through the Center for Action and Contemplation. My stated purpose for this is to work on my codependency issues. What I have learned in my personal journey is that the only way to recover from addiction is to develop a working relationship with Something Bigger Than Me. Contemplation ("to sit down quietly") is key to that. I'm not the sort to regimentally sit twice a day for twenty minutes in contemplation. I'm more the sort to take frequent breathing breaks and focus on a comforting word. Lately my word has been "sanctuary." I even do this when lap swimming. 
    The outer world is in no way conducive to peace and happiness. I am grateful that my addiction has taught me where to go to find those priceless commodities. 
        Leta


No comments:

Post a Comment