Thursday, March 31, 2022

March 31--Keep After It

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight. Never stop fighting.  --e. e. cummings

    I imagine e. e. cummings fought a lifelong battle to avoid capitalizing his name. 😉😉
    I've made a giant pendulum swing in life from an ultra-conservative religion to (happily) none at all. I was raised in a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church. We received pins for perfect attendance, with bars added to the bottom for each additional "perfect" year. I had a lengthy pin. Even if we were traveling, my mom made me go to Sunday School. That was torture for me, to go to a SS class with kids I didn't know. But I was competing with others for the longest attendance pin. Maybe you recognize why my early religious "commitment" didn't stick!
    I've passed through "lighter" Lutheran, Methodist and New Thought.  My next-door neighbor worked diligently for a few years trying to ensure that I was "saved." She gave up finally; at least she does not talk religion with me any more. Thanks to a 12-Step program, I have a very rich and comfortable and comforting spiritual life. 
    I am grateful for all the people I have met along the way. I have a community of friends who are loving and supportive. I enjoy encouraging others on their journey to find a spirituality that works for them. It is worth the effort. 
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment