Sunday, August 8, 2021

August 8--Maybe Choose Differently?

I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind. 
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    One thing I have learned is that practicing addicts have a very strong dislike, even loathing, of themselves due to seeming inability to control the addictive behavior(s). Another thing I've learned is that we always have a choice, and how we feel about and treat ourselves is a choice, too. We are so used to putting ourselves down due to past and current failures, but that is simply a long-term and well-practiced habit that CAN be changed. I don't claim that it is easy or instant. It is a practice to change any habit. The key is that it can be done, if we feel the end result is worth the effort. I know this from personal experience. I have no particular or unique skill that has enabled me to do this, just willingness and incentive to change. It is an ongoing, daily, even minute-to-minute practice. 
    Staying mindful of my thinking,
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment