Saturday, August 21, 2021

August 21--Where'd I go?

I am still in the process of growing up, but I will make no progress if I lose any of myself along the way.  --Madeleine L'Engle

    I consider "still in the process of growing up" to be an enormous blessing. There's no end to what we can discover and learn, and that's just looking inward. The more we know ourselves and why we do what we do, the less likely we are to lose ourselves.  
    I offer some examples of losing some of myself:
  • Saying "yes" when I really want to say "no"
  • Doing something to please another and feeling resentment
  • Not setting or upholding personal boundaries
  • Using a "substance of choice" to numb out
  • Allowing others' opinions or suggestions to outweigh my own wisdom
  • Believing my worth is based on what I own or produce or accomplish
  • Living in "I will be happy when _________" mode
  • Avoiding conflict at all cost
    Looking at that list, I see that I can sum it up in codependency, with which I am very familiar. It is a lifelong process to reclaim the parts of myself lost to that... I'm still growing up!
        Leta

Life can feel like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment