Monday, August 2, 2021

August 2--Perfect Freedom

If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live.  --Lin Yutang

    Gee, I think I have this one nailed. I spend a lot of time watching baseball and basketball, which is, in the grand scheme of things, perfectly useless. I simply enjoy it. I know from the pandemic shut-in that I can survive without sports, but I enjoy spending a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner. As I ponder this quote, I realize that what is "perfectly useless" is a personal decision. I also note that the nagging voice in my head that says "you should do more" attempts to get louder when I contemplate a "perfectly useless" break. Our society is so goal and productivity oriented, and our children so pressured to perform, that folks don't even learn the value of "perfectly useless" time. It is a bold choice to spend one's time in a self-only pleasing manner without worrying what others may think or say about it. That is living. 
    Pondering whether my daily nap is "perfectly useless," 😉😉
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment