Thursday, May 28, 2020

May 28--What If?

There was another life that I might have had, but I am having this one. 
--Kazuo Ishiguro

     I LOVE this quote! The many places it takes me...
     While I don't understand it in my human mind, I do believe that we choose to come here, choose the general "family" we are born into, even have some general "plans" of what we'd like to accomplish here. Given the infinite nature of the Universe, and the options on planet Earth alone, I could have picked myriad other lives, but I took this one. Sometimes that has made me wonder "wtf?" but mostly, at least in hindsight, I'd say, "Good job, Leta Renee."
     Then there are all the places in life where I made pivotal choices, mostly not recognizing them as such at the time, but pivotal nonetheless. Leaving home in Pennsylvania and going to graduate school in Minnesota instead of getting a job after completing college. Taking a job at cheese company in Green Bay, Wisconsin, which led me to meet my future husband, Dennis. (Note: I grew up in Pennsylvania, he grew up in Missouri. The Universe did some work to get us together.) Moving to Wichita, Kansas to be closer to Dennis. All I knew of Kansas was from my many viewings of "The Wizard of Oz." Buying a home in a neighborhood where we've stayed for 35 years. Agreeing to have two children, and praise the Lord, they are both males. I'm not the girly-girl daughter-raising type. It would have been a whole different ball game had I had to figure out how to raise a girl. 😉😉 Then there are the assorted jobs I've had. The huge pivotal step of joining and sticking with a 12-step program. Yoga teacher training. All these different things have brought a wealth of awesome people into my life. And joy inexpressible.
     As one of my spiritual practices, I ask myself periodically "If I died today, would I have any regrets?" While this may sound morbid, it's not. It's a very clean feeling to have a good life and good relationships. Currently my only regret would be that I didn't get to do all that I wanted to do, for instance, traveling. (And grandchildren, but that one is outta my hands!!!!)
     So glad to be "having this one,"
             Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment