Tuesday, May 26, 2020

May 26--I'll Take All of It

When we love a person, we accept him or her exactly as is: the lovely with the unlovely, the strong with the fearful, the true mixed in with the facade. And of course, the only way we can do it is by accepting ourselves that way.  --Mr. Rogers

     I pretty much love anything that comes out of Mr. Rogers' mouth, because he is such a loving presence.
     Think of someone you dearly love. Aren't there things about that person that are annoying, or that you wish weren't there? Yet you still love them. My brother and I are at opposite ends of the political spectrum, generally, yet I can easily overlook that because I love him so much. If you have a spouse or significant other, I bet you can name something pretty quickly that annoys you about them, but it's easy to accept because you love them.
     Inability to accept ourselves fully makes for a judgmental and critical attitude toward others. It also makes it very easy for others to "push our buttons." If we see these happening in ourselves (who doesn't, at least occasionally), then looking at self-acceptance is the key. If we can own our humanity, warts and all, it makes those warts in others much easier to bear. Another way to state the above quote: only if I am at peace with me, can I at peace with you.
     Peaceful for now,
             Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment