Sunday, May 24, 2020

May 24--Affection

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.  --Buddha

     If you haven't already, now is the time to get over the idea that self-care is selfish. That idea is complete bullshit, and I'm tired of hearing that sentiment.
     Jesus told us to love our neighbors as ourselves. I don't think he meant that we should treat ourselves badly, and then it's OK to do that to the neighbors, too. Self-care is a fundamental thing to learn for a successful life, because no one else is going to take care of you, because everyone is busy taking care of his or her own self. 
     I really like the idea of affection for oneself. For me, that's a peaceful "I'm OK" feeling. I'm just a regular human doing the best I can. I make mistakes, I learn. I love, and I practice kindness. I avoid doing things that would require amends. I care for my body, emotions, mind and spirit as best I can.
     On the daily "practical" side, I have five things that are my baseline for good self-care each day. (TMI warning!) They are 1) nasal rinse with Netipot (breathing is essential); 2) floss teeth; 3) MELT hand and foot treatments; 4) vitamins C & D; and 5) whatever spiritual practice that I am enjoying at the time. These are things that I can easily continue even when traveling. It gives me that peaceful feeling of self-affection when I accomplish them each day.
     There are plenty of other things I do in the name of self-care, such as a monthly massage, but I feel it's important to recognize that it's the practice of the daily, "little" things that make for an affectionate relationship with oneself.
     To ponder: what might you incorporate into your day to show yourself more love and affection?
     Breathe!
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment