Friday, May 22, 2020

May 22--Loneliness

The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.  --Mark Twain

     I don't experience a lot of loneliness, and I attribute that to the fact that I am comfortable with myself. I love being alone, I even crave it. I also have a husband and a dog, both of whom I dearly love, and having them around keeps loneliness at bay.
     I do, however, feel for those who are lonely, especially during the stay-at-home time mandated by the pandemic. The forced separation of family and friends from folks in care homes creates tragic loneliness on both sides. No matter how comfortable one is with oneself, too much alone time wears on a person. We are wired to be social beings.
     Discomfort with oneself comes from self-judgment and criticism, not measuring up to some perceived standard. When we can see ourselves as human, flaws and all, with truly nothing to prove to anyone, life becomes a whole lot easier and more comfortable.
     Alone in the woman cave, creating,
              Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment