Tuesday, September 5, 2023

September 5--The Challenge of Mending

A person is, among all else, a material thing, easily torn and not easily mended. 
--Ian McEwan

    We are hearing much these days about trauma and its long-term effects. Few have escaped trauma in their lives, some just have it worse than others. 
    I had two major traumas in my childhood. One was simply a natural event--the sudden death of my grandmother, my mother's mother. It set off a chain of events that permeated my whole life. The other was non-stop verbal abuse by my brother, 14 years older than me. Of course that was "all in good fun, just teasing." Both of those traumas tore me, and it has taken many years of self-introspection and counseling to experience the mending I have accomplished so far. I give much credit to the 12-Step Program for assistance in this area. 
    We all have been torn--let us help each other to mend.
        Leta

The perfect mending job
(from google images)

No comments:

Post a Comment