Sunday, September 24, 2023

September 24--Not Knowing is a Good Thing

The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty: not knowing what comes next.  --Ursula K. Le Guin

    And not knowing what comes next is, at the same time, quite maddening. In general, however, I think permanent uncertainty is the better choice. The question "would you want to know ______?" floats through my brain, and my immediate response is "NO!"
    Today we head home after a fun visit with the offspring. Golf was played, dogs were walked, meals were shared, grandson was delightfully enjoyed.
    I've mentioned that September is my least favorite month, and noted that yesterday was the one-year anniversary of losing my S-I-L Sue. Today is the anniversary of BOTH my parents passing. Yep, on September 24, 1979 Mom passed, and on the same date in 2000, Dad passed. I lost my parents rather early in my life, yet my husband's parents are both still living independently and thriving at age 93. There's some uncertainty for you. 
    Not knowing is the precursor to faith, an essential part of life. 
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment