Monday, June 13, 2022

June 13--At the Beach!

Set wide the window. Let me drink the day.  --Edith Wharton

    I drove through the soggy, foggy West Virginia mountains yesterday feeling like I was the only person in the state--there was so little traffic. The rain preceded me in my eastern journey, and what had been a rainy day at the beach was sunny by the time I arrived. Traffic backed up heading onto the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and I went about seven miles in an hour. That bridge is 4.35 miles long, and I'm glad I do not have to cross it on the way south from here. It was fairly scary for me--while the view is beautiful, I preferred to focus on driving, with my loud inner voice saying, "don't look down!"
    After unloading the Spaceship (nickname for our RAV4 Hybrid) and settling in, we followed Ms. Wharton's quote. We made drinks, opened the balcony door, and enjoyed happy hour on the balcony overlooking the ocean. There is lovely dune vegetation separating the buildings from the beach. My niece, great-nephew and I eventually went out for a walk along the ocean, drinking in the smells, sounds and sights of beach fun. The water temperature is a little chilly. 
    After driving over 1400 miles in three days, I'm happy to stay put for a few days!
        Leta

Just a partial view of the long, scary bridge

From the condo balcony (3rd floor)

No comments:

Post a Comment