Monday, June 7, 2021

June 7--What You See

The question is not what you look at, but what you see.  --Henry David Thoreau

    I love going to art museums. These are classic examples of Thoreau's quote. Everyone who passes through looks at the same things, but what they see can be vastly different. When imagination and perception get involved, the options are infinite. This is a glorious aspect of being human. 
    In daily life, what do I see? I'm a gardener, so one would think I see beautiful flowers and plants. Alas, this life-long gardener sees weeds first, then the supposed-to-be-there vegetation. That's the natural reaction of someone who has spent hundreds of hours weeding. My greater intent is to see beauty and kindness. When I walk Barney, I notice the emerald green grass, the sturdy trees, the blue sky, and brilliant sunshine. When I run errands, I practice seeing and being kindness in interactions. Focusing on beauty and kindness bring more of those into my life. 
    By the way, I highly recommend the Art Institute of Chicago and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, both great places to practice seeing. The photo below is a huge sculpture suspended from the ceiling in the contemporary wing of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. It is made, I kid you not, of ordinary styrofoam cups. I see something to drink out of, the artist (can't remember) saw this. 


    Humans are amazing!
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment