Friday, June 18, 2021

June 18--Experience Rocks!

Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced.  --John Keats

    Back to the watercolor class I'm currently experiencing. (See June 9 post for background.) I've purchased the supplies, and I am going to stick with it. I have no problem being a complete rookie and asking "dumb questions." (My instructor says there are no dumb questions, but there may be dumb answers. Good one!) In theory, I go to class, learn, play, paint, relax, enjoy. But the experience, getting real, is quite different. There is an insane person freaking out in my head. Our first exercise involved drawing straight lines to section off the paper, then drawing a prism, cylinder, cone and rectangle. While a ruler was offered (remember, I like STRAIGHT lines), I decided to go for it freehand, despite the anxiety of the insane person in my head. I lived through it, and you can see the not-too-bad results below. As our instructor said, "We're not trying to create a Rembrandt here." Whew! I'm estimating that this class is about 14 miles outside my box. I'll keep you posted on the "realness" of this adventure.
    Another example of Keats quote that comes to mind for me is snorkeling. I love watching nature shows about the ocean and its amazing variety of life. But when I was actually in the ocean snorkeling, seeing it for the first time with my own eyes--well, it was a powerful spiritual experience for me. There is an astounding complete universe under the surface of the water that most folks never see. 
    Grateful for experiences that stretch me,    
        Leta

The beginning




No comments:

Post a Comment