Sunday, June 13, 2021

June 13--How Does Life Strike You?

Happiness depends more on how life strikes you than on what happens. 
--Andy Rooney

    If I based my happiness on what happens on my golf scorecard, my happy-o-meter would be registering very low. However, it strikes me that even a rough day on the course is better than, say, being home cleaning toilets. I am grateful that I am able to play, both physically and financially. It keeps me in contact with friends and enables me to meet new folks, both supportive of my happiness. 
    If I based my happiness on the news I glance at now and then, my happy-o-meter would melt down into an ugly mess. Fortunately, so little of it is directly relevant to me in daily life that I am able to restore my happiness level fairly quickly. 
    I think we all know folks who maintain a positive disposition even under dreadful circumstances. We can all do it, at least now and then. Unpleasant stuff is going to happen. Remember the old bumper sticker, "Shit happens."? If our happiness depends on life being great all the time, we're screwed. Let's go with wise Abe Lincoln: “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” 
    Life strikes me as very good,
        Leta
    




No comments:

Post a Comment