Wednesday, June 16, 2021

June 16--Time Well Spent?

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.  --Annie Dillard

     This one is interesting to ponder. I feel like most of my days are fairly ordinary. Days are good and generally peaceful. Interactions with others are pleasant. I get to do what I want, for the most part. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed, sometimes bored. I live happily with my wonderful husband and dog. I do part-time work that I enjoy and which uses my skills very well. I continue to learn. I am devoted to daily self-care and maintaining my excellent health. These good days are making for a good life.
    But is that enough? There's a voice in my head that far-too-frequently tells me, "You should do more." The "more" is never specified. More house-cleaning? Yuck. More work? No, because I'm very attached to my flexible schedule and the ability to go and do whenever I choose. More to save the world? I wouldn't know where to start, and quite frankly, that's not my bag. 
    There is a quote in 12-step literature that I dearly love: "Each day we live well, we are well." Just think where we'd be as the human race if everyone lived well and happily and peacefully every day. That would make for a lot of joyful lives and a very content planet. 
        Leta
Some of the family on a CO trek


No comments:

Post a Comment