Monday, August 26, 2024

August 26--Express Yourself!

A good laugh heals a lot of hurts.  --Madeleine L'Engle

    I saw a woman wearing a t-shirt with a bear pictured on it along with these words of wisdom, "A human in a sleeping bag is like a soft taco." 😉😉 Here are a few funny bumper stickers I found online:
  • I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned. 
  • Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to be unarmed. 
  • No. Please. Don't treat me any differently than you would the Queen.
    Several years ago, I proposed to a couple of writer friends that we get together via Zoom and share our writings. One lives in Florida, the other has recently moved from Kansas City to Wichita. We get together on a sporadic basis, all with busy lives and families, but dedicated to writing. Yesterday one of them sent me this Henri Nouwen meditation describing why one writes:

Writing is a process in which we discover what lives in us. The writing itself reveals to us what is alive in us. The deepest satisfaction of writing is precisely that it opens up new spaces within us of which we were not aware before we started to write. To write is to embark on a journey whose final destination we do not know. Thus, writing requires a real act of trust. We have to say to ourselves: “I do not yet know what I carry in my heart, but I trust that it will emerge as I write.” Writing is like giving away the few loaves and fishes one has, trusting that they will multiply in the giving. Once we dare to “give away” on paper the few thoughts that come to us, we start discovering how much is hidden underneath these thoughts and gradually come in touch with our own riches.

    There are plenty of days when I don't feel like writing. Something in me compels me to do it. I would say that at least half the time, I have no idea what to write about when I open my Chromebook in the morning. Yet something comes through, as Mr. Nouwen so nicely articulates. I would also say that, for me, his description applies to painting. I have started another painting project--stay tuned. 

    Have a good laugh today!
        Leta
😀😉😏

No comments:

Post a Comment