Thursday, May 9, 2024

May 9--Generous Forgiveness

Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us.  --Pablo Neruda

    WOW, this describes a huge hunk of my life and spiritual healing journey. My other brother, Ken, was the one who could not love me. For reasons I can only suspect, Ken despised me from Day One. He was 14 years older than me. He spent every day he had contact with me working to make my life miserable with near-constant verbal abuse. Alas, I was around him a lot because he and my dad were in the lumber business together. Ken made his transition in 2006.
    It has taken years of inner work to get to the point of "forget with generosity." Ken was my greatest nemesis, but also my greatest teacher. Forgiveness is an ongoing process as I uncover more of the insidious ways his treatment influenced my beliefs about myself and therefore, my behavior. 
    I've read that those who trouble us the most in earthly life are the ones who, on some cosmic level, love us the most. Maybe someday that truth will be known to both Ken and me.
    I can say with some awe that I had both the best brother and the worst brother possible, and maybe someday I shall be surprised about who was who!?!?!?
        Leta
A squirrel-deterring pinwheel 
protecting a pot of baby basil plants...
future pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment