Thursday, May 23, 2024

May 23--Lowering the Voltage

Slide the weight from your shoulders and move forward. You are afraid you might forget, but you never will. You will forgive and remember.  --Barbara Kingsolver

    We don't forget those things that have traumatized us. The way I tell if I have forgiven something is that I can look at the person or situation and have no emotional charge caused by remembering. Low-voltage aggravations are much easier to forgive than the super-charged ones. Likewise, one time events are easier to forgive than ongoing, repetitive actions. I've made great progress, but I can't say that I feel no charge relative to my brother's constant verbal abuse growing up. I remind myself of all the personal growth that abuse has inspired, and I let it go yet another time. 
    Forgiveness does not require forgetting--that's impossible. 
        Leta

A plot of pretty pansies!

No comments:

Post a Comment