Wednesday, May 15, 2024

May 15--Handling Mistakes, Or Not

Mistakes are a fact of life: It is the response to the error that counts. 
--Nikki Giovanni

    The photo with this quote is the Leaning Tower of Pisa. The lean is caused by an unstable foundation. And my googling tells me that the builders knew it was leaning after constructing three stories, yet they still completed the eight-story structure. I'm not sure that is a good "response to the error." On the bright side, it has yielded considerable tourist traffic over the centuries. 
    This is, however, an excellent metaphor for life. We screw up, but we keep going. Sometimes we clean up our mistakes with amends and forgiveness. This strengthens our spiritual foundation. Other times we drag the baggage around out of pride or embarrassment, weakening ourselves and our relationships.  
    A good thing to ponder: how can I lighten my mistake baggage?
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment