Thursday, November 25, 2021

November 25--Forgiveness is Worth the Effort

Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting. 
--William Arthur Ward

    Just do it. We forgive for ourselves, not for the benefit of the offender. If I don't forgive, I'm letting the person or situation live in my head rent-free. It consumes me and benefits no one. 
    Two things have helped me over the years to forgive. The first is "don't take anything personally." (See The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.) I'll admit that this is easier said than done. The second is to look on the situation with compassion for the offender. For instance, I see that my mother was an addict herself and had no means to recognize the problem or have help to recover, even if she had admitted to her problem. I feel sad for her as I experience the wonderful life that recovery has brought me. 
    Any situation is either love or a cry for love. May we allow the infinite Source of Love to flow freely through us.
        Leta

Thankful for love and forgiveness!


No comments:

Post a Comment