Sunday, November 14, 2021

November 14--Who Can You Trust?

Whoever is careless with truth in small matters cannot be trusted in important affairs.  --Albert Einstein

    Have you ever had that feeling that someone was not quite telling you the truth? [I giggled to myself after I wrote that--we had a POTUS who did it hourly!!! No wonder so many of us were terrified for four years!]
    If you have raised one or more children, chances are good that a major lesson you taught was that lying is not a good practice. 
    Back to my first line above. I believe we intuitively know ("gut feel") when someone is being "careless with truth," either by exaggeration or lying. One source of common trauma I have seen in many friends is that during childhood, they witnessed ongoing things in the home yet were told that things were not as they were seeing and feeling them. That disconnect leads to mistrust of oneself and others, just as Einstein states. I experienced that, and it took me years of work to be able to trust anyone, even a little. Going with "a bad example can be a good thing," it led me to value reliability as the supreme character trait in myself and others.
    Integrity rocks,
        Leta


No comments:

Post a Comment