Monday, November 15, 2021

November 15--The Occasional Whining

Self-pity in its early stages is as snug as a feather mattress. Only when it hardens does it become uncomfortable.  --Maya Angelou

    Self-pity is a common characteristic of a non-recovering addict. He/she is comforted by blaming others, the world, God, whatever, for the misery and for life being out of control. When that attitude hardens--hitting rock bottom--self-pity no longer brings comfort. It becomes a roadblock to incorporating recovery into one's life. 
    Not an addict? We all indulge in self-pity sometime. Other folks don't know how to drive--oh, poor me. My order didn't arrive on time--oh, poor me. I didn't get that thing I simply had to have--oh, poor me. The whining may make us feel comfy, but trust me, those around us are uncomfortable with it. Hence we have the phrase, "First world problem." 
    The antidote for self-pity is gratitude--let's practice that.
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment