Tuesday, November 2, 2021

November 2--Anger Burns

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.  --Buddha

    Good one, Buddha! I've done a lot of inner work to get rid of long-held and deep anger. I've discovered things that I didn't even consciously know I was angry about. I still feel there is some anger lurking in me. I tend to be addicted to self-righteous anger, and that comes out when I am driving. I am not proud of this behavior, just sayin'. 
    Not a day goes by that I don't see or read something that can bring me to an angry state. I have two helpful sayings to divert myself from going there. One, from spiritual mentor Edwene Gaines, is "Isn't that interesting?!?!" The other, I believe from my mother-in-law, is "Some people's kids!" Everyone is someone's kid, and we all are equally irritating sometime. 
    I've been burned by that hot coal enough to know that I now prefer serenity.
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment