Wednesday, January 6, 2021

January 6--Take a Step

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    This idea of taking a step applies both to the big lofty life-time dreams and the routine of daily self-care. "Baby steps," if you will, get us going, keep us moving. 12-Steppers refer to this as doing the footwork. 
    I can think of numerous examples in my life of taking steps without knowing the end result. I went to a workshop many years ago where I was introduced to some specific stretching exercises which my friend indicated was yoga. I found a beginners yoga class at the YMCA, committed to that, and fell in love with yoga to the extent that I wanted to become a teacher. Those "steps" continued, and in October 2011, I completed yoga teacher training. I've been teaching ever since, and I love it. 
    Then there's the day-to-day steps. I have a list on my phone of the things I strive to do daily that are my baseline for good self-care.  These include such exciting things as taking my vitamins and flossing my teeth, but also spiritual practice, which includes this blog writing. I keep the list to help me remember all the items, not to beat myself up if I don't get all of them done on any given day. The list is fluid. "Hip exercises" is an item now as I strengthen my left side after surgery; that one will drop off the list soon. I know that it is the daily steps of self-care that lead to a contented life. I am worth the effort. 
    What step can you take today to value the unique expression of Spirit that you are?
        Leta


No comments:

Post a Comment