Thursday, January 21, 2021

January 21--Different Every Day

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then. 
--Lewis Carroll

    I love this quote. Each day I have changed from the person of yesterday--I've had more thoughts, interactions and experiences, each one of which changes me somehow. I learned a variation of this in the 12-Step program. One of the steps is about releasing our character defects, those dark, shadowy aspects of our personality that don't serve us. Even though I have released many of them, they will still reappear occasionally. This can be frustrating and annoying, until I remember that I am a different person from the last time I experienced the defect, better able to cope with it and move ahead. 
    This quote also makes me ponder the sudden, monumental events of life such as the death of a loved one, birth of a child, a life-threatening diagnosis, a serious accident, and so on. These events change us drastically and suddenly, and we awaken in the following days a very-much changed person. That different person of yesterday is gone forever.  
    It is a marvelous blessing that we are can't "unlearn" anything, and we are always expanding. We did the best we could with yesterday's consciousness, and we shall do the same today as the different person we've become since yesterday. 
    Onward,
        Leta



1 comment:

  1. A great reminder that our shadows exist and at the same time our shadows are not reality. Thank you for your inspirational thoughts today.
    J

    ReplyDelete