Wednesday, July 3, 2024

July 3--A Very BIG Question

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.  --Buddha

    The insight below is from spiritual director Ruth Haley Barton:

Many of us try to shove spiritual transformation into the nooks and crannies of a life that is already unmanageable, rather than being willing to arrange our life for what our heart most wants. We think that somehow we will fall into transformation by accident.

Christian tradition has a name for the structure that enables us to say yes to the process of spiritual transformation day in and day out. It is called a rule of life. A rule of life seeks to respond to two questions: Who do I want to be? How do I want to live? … [or] the interplay between these two questions: How do I want to live so I can be who I want to be?

I would offer that if one can answer the highlighted question and implement the answer in one's life--that is the ultimate in self-affection. 
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment