Thursday, October 26, 2023

October 26--Expectations--Not Helpful

What will matter is the good we did, not the good we expected others to do. 
--Elizabeth Lesser

    Hmmmm... my first reaction to this was: I don't expect others to do good. But wait! I expected those in my family of origin to be sane, considerate and loving in healthy ways. That was not often the case. What matters to me now is my recovery from that and the good I have done for others as a result of my experience. 
    I think it is mighty clear these days that expecting others to do the good and right thing is a prescription for frustration. All we can do to keep our sanity is to focus on our own do-good practice. The more good we do, the more good comes 'round to us. 
    Circulate the good stuff,
        Leta

At a shop in England

No comments:

Post a Comment