Wednesday, October 11, 2023

October 11--It's All Running Together Already!

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.  --Simone Weil

    I've had lots of paying-attention practice this week, what with our tour guide talking non-stop and an infinite number of places to trip over as we walk many miles each day.
    Yesterday we went to Buckingham Palace, quite the grand place. We did not see the big production of the changing of the guard, but we did see the horseback guard "parade." That's six guards on horseback riding in perfect rhythm down a wide avenue, and they do it every day. 
    Lanie and I managed to lose our group folks (unintentional!), and found a lovely little lunch spot where we could eat outside. We have been blessed with three glorious days of weather in London. We went back to our group meeting spot by Westminster Abbey. We were early for reconvening, so we asked a guard if we could go in to pray, and as my spectacular traveling charmed life would have it, there was a service about to start, and we were admitted. It was lovely. Lanie got to have communion in Westminster Abbey, what an awesome experience. I told her she may be the last living human to see me at a church service. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a time to let gratitude wash through me. 
    Then we walked to the Thames and did a boat tour, ending at the Tower of London. We heard lots of grisly stories about various forms of beheading (one swift blow or repeated hacking---yuck!!!). We saw the Crown Jewels, which were mostly crowns. We were all hoping to see some cool necklaces, bracelets, etc. but clearly this American is fairly clueless about the Crown Jewels. They are not insured, so I am told. A) too valuable and B) not sellable if they were stolen. We did see the world's largest diamond, and it's a doozy. My favorite thing in the Tower exploration is the dragon shown below. His claws are made with pistols. It's a very large, creative sculpture.
    We went back to the hotel on the bus, and trekked to a nearby pub that served Thai food. That is not a typo. It was great. I had a Fuller's ESB, one of my favorite beers at home. Alas, I finally ran into a not-so-cold beer. But I was so thirsty...
    Today, Stonehenge!!!
        Leta

The dragon in the White Tower

Lanie and I with a very friendly "Beefeater."
They are retired military with a minimum
of 22 years of service. There are 35 of them,
and 4 are women.

The horseback guard "parade"

No comments:

Post a Comment