Tuesday, August 16, 2022

August 16--Considering Suffering

Wherever you are is my home--my only home.  --Charlotte Bronte

    Richard Rohr, founder of the Center for Action and Contemplation, offers this simple definition of suffering: whenever we are not in control. As a life-long recovering control freak, this one blew me away. I tend to think of suffering as something more extreme, like lots of ongoing pain or a terminal illness. With this definition, it seems I have a huge opportunity for suffering because there is so much wherein I have no control. This also brings suffering into the mental/emotional realm, not just the physical. 
    Take, for instance, the birth of a grandchild. I recognize what seems like an eternity of WAITING as suffering--I've been "pins and needles" anxious most of this month, and it keeps building. It's a constant effort of deep breathing, refocusing and chanting my mantra "divine timing." I have no control whatsoever. 
    Mr. Rohr contends that it is suffering, and very little else, that causes us to change. His idea of suffering deserves additional pondering...
        Leta

Happy bees at the CSU Gardens


No comments:

Post a Comment