Saturday, April 9, 2022

April 9--For Better and Worst

It's no trick loving somebody at their best. Love is loving them at their worst. 
--Tom Stoppard

    A neighbor was telling me the other day how her six-year-old son is really challenging her. "I keep wondering why parenting is so hard," she said. Mr. Stoppard nailed it--"loving them at their worst." That's how we grow good, productive humans, by loving them fully even when they are not displaying their best side. It's easy to love them at their best. 
    When my clients have complained to me about the behavior of their teenagers, I jokingly, but truthfully, say that it is a natural, organic process for teenagers to act like buttheads, because then you are glad when they leave home. It's part of the launching process. Speaking from experience, it can get really ugly. 😉
    I'm grateful for those who have loved me through my worst moments!
        Leta

I'm ready for spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment