Friday, May 7, 2021

May 7--Destination, NE Ohio

Inside myself is a place where I live all alone. That's where you renew your springs that never dry up.  --Pearl S. Buck

    So here I am on a solo road trip. I'm definitely hanging in the "place where I live all alone." Yesterday (Thursday) I drove ~540 miles from Wichita to Effingham, Illinois (with plenty of Effing-beans, Effing-turkey, etc. jokes). It was an easy drive supported by a very good audio book. No sooner had I checked into my Quality Inn room than the tornado sirens went off. The huge black cloud blew by, and it was sunny within an hour. 
    I spent some time figuring out where I could lap swim today (Friday) to give my body a break from so much driving. Lap swimming definitely "renews my springs that never dry up." I discovered that the pool where I had hoped to swim in Effingham is closed for maintenance. So I switched to a YMCA in Dayton, which will break today's drive basically in half. Calling for information, I learned that because of Covid, I had to reserve a time to lap swim. That's a new wrinkle, but for safety for all, I'm on board. I also had to compensate for the fact that I lose an hour in the drive there, going from the central time zone to eastern. 
    I am enjoying this time alone. While I'm not crazy about driving, I do love traveling. I am excited to see relatives this weekend that I have not seen in almost two years. This trip will bring much renewal--family relationships, friendships, visiting the area where I grew up--the return to my roots feels so good! 
    Stay tuned,
        Leta




No comments:

Post a Comment