Monday, May 10, 2021

May 10--Dark Places Serve a Purpose

Everyone has a talent. What's rare is to follow it to the dark places where it leads.  --Erica Jong

    Very interesting!!! As I think about the talents I am currently using, I see that each has involved some traveling to dark places. My spiritual coaching training was largely working on myself, digging deep into those dark places and cleaning them up (and you know how I dislike cleaning!). That work continues to this day.Yoga teacher training with Ana Forrest is diving-head-first-into-the-dark-places on steroids. The intense breathing, rigid schedule and long hours sooner or later break down every feeble defense. Years of teaching Melt Method and yoga have certainly relieved me of any fears of messing up in public--I do it regularly. It's part of putting oneself "out there." The more-than-full-time grind of tax work simply wears me down, strips my defenses, and leaves me no choice but to be myself, screw-ups and all. Ultimately, I think that's the purpose of all the exploration in the dark places--to recognize that we all have them, that they help to shape who we are, and who we are is perfectly fine. Then we flourish from that place and share our unique talents. It's a simple system, though not necessarily easy. 
    Switching gears... I had a lovely Mother's Day with my NE Ohio family. I talked with both sons and my mother-in-law, and spent time with my niece (mother of three sons) and her mom. All these moms have had a huge, loving impact on my life. I honor them. I made the trip to this area complete with a visit to Handel's Ice Cream 😉😉
    Grateful and joyful,
        Leta
My favorite brother and I


No comments:

Post a Comment