Sunday, December 31, 2023

December 31--Goodbye, 2023!

Here is the world, and you live in it, and are grateful. You try to be grateful. 
--Michael Cunningham

    Heading into the new year, I like to review the previous year. You may wonder if I simply remember all this stuff. Actually, it comes from a review of my Win List. That's a daily note of all the good/blessings/joys in my life. Writing my Win List is part of my daily spiritual practice. Here are the 2023 items of note...

WORK
  • Taught MELT and yoga through the end of October; took a two-month break to determine my teaching future.
  • Repeated the MELT L2 training.
  • Tax season (I agree to help out the new owner) was a dreadful end to a good tax-prep “career.”
  • Hired to be a simulated patient at the Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine. My first gigs are in 2024.
FAMILY
  • Attended great-nephew Bryan’s wedding in Ohio.
  • Spent several weeks with my brother Arlie.
  • Have had the great joy of watching grandson Luca grow.
  • Eliot visited us in Wichita when he was in KS for a memorial service.
  • Played several rounds of golf with my sons, my most cherished activity.
  • My son’s Golden Retriever Dusty crossed the “Rainbow Bridge” in October at 13. He truly was a “family” dog.
  • In November we celebrated my in-laws' 70th anniversary.
  • We had a lovely Christmas with my husband’s side of the family.
TRAVEL
  • To Thunder NBA game in January
  • Lanie & I drove to Florida, met up with Paige and Laura, had a great time hanging at the “Hill Resort” and Laura's home in Florida.
  • Lanie, Paige and I went to Savannah, where we explored and Paige treated us to an extravagant meal at Elizabeth on 37th.
  • After Bryan’s wedding, Debi, Val and I went to Ocean City, MD for a week on the beach and evenings of Rummikub.
  • Completed my all 30 MLB stadiums quest in May with a Cubs loss in Houston and #30 at Globe Life Field in Arlington.
  • Went with six other golf gals to Show Low, AZ for two weeks of golf and fun in July. Too HOT for me!
  • Made several trips to Fort Collins, including Luca’s 1st birthday in August.
  • Went to England and Wales for two weeks; highlight was Stonehenge, celebrated my birthday #68 there.
  • Spent two weeks in Ohio in November, with lots of time with my brother and niece.
  • Made my 3rd annual Jamaica trip in December. Lanie and I together conquered the 25-martini menu.
HEALTH
  • Swam over 100 miles for the 26th year in a row.
  • Learned to play pickleball and played several times a week, even played in Jamaica.
  • Enjoyed another year of gardening. Because of dead tree removal, I can once again grow tomatoes and peppers. BLTs were a highlight. Also planted 50 lily bulbs in the renewed front bed.
  • Had my first FLOAT experience in Houston–HEAVENLY!
  • Completed several weeks of PT for left shoulder tendinitis; had a steroid shot; much improved.
  • Had a physical (1st in 3 yrs) – all good!
  • Alas, I’m ending the year with a broken tooth.
DOG
  • Barney has been huge in helping me through the disappointment, anxiety and depression of 2023. When all else fails, pet the dog. Daily walks get us outside and moving every day.
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Watched the entire Ted Lasso series twice–I highly recommend it!
  • We succeeded in the much-needed cleaning and clearing of the laundry/storage room.
  • I managed to get several more extended family members hooked on Rummikub.
CREATIVITY
  • I taught myself the granny square pattern and made a wedding gift afghan for Bryan & Erin.
  • Completed one straight-line painting and started another.
    I guess I’d give the year a 6 out of 10. A lot of good stuff happened. But in so many ways, my heart just wasn’t in it. I’m working on a better attitude for 2024.
        Leta




No comments:

Post a Comment