Friday, March 8, 2024

March 8--What Do You Pretend To Be?

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.  --Kurt Vonnegut

    I try to avoid pretending that I am a senior citizen, though I do like the occasional discount! I don't feel like my chronological age, and for that I am grateful. One must keep moving!
    Let's consider "pretend" in the light of "act as if." This is a well-known 12-Step concept, such as "act as if" you can recover from addiction whether or not you actually believe it in the moment. Or "act as if" a Higher Power is caring for you, even if you think such a thing is nonsense. 
    I must say that most of my girlfriends are glamorous. They fuss a lot with makeup and hair and dress "in fashion." I don't pretend to have a clue about fashion, I wear minimal makeup and it takes me about one minute to "style" my hair. It would be a huge stretch for me to pretend to be glamorous! 
    I do, however, like pretending to be an artist, a world traveler and an OK pickleball player!
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment