Thursday, March 21, 2024

March 21--WHAT?!?!?!

In trying to please all, he had pleased none.  --Aesop

    AAAARRRRGGGG! People-pleasing! Codependent behavior. Common characteristic of addicts. I know it well. Not only does it really please no one, it makes the people-pleaser frustrated at himself or herself. People-pleasing is a symptom of wanting to control others and situations, and also an intense desire to be liked. 
    I had two delightful hour-long Q&A sessions by the fireside with my brother yesterday. I had a great lap swim to start the day, and my niece and I finished off the evening with more Rummikub. The low point of the day was when the care-home hair stylist came by to chat with my brother. I made a comment about being "the bossy sister," and she said, "Are you younger or older than him?" WHAT?!?!?! He's 16 years older than me, has to use a walker, can barely lift himself out of a chair. Do I look that awful!?!?!?! Geez. It was one of those set-you-back-a-few-paces moments. Oh, well, I'll recover.
    Hopefully today I will be able to get into a pickleball game or two. 
        Leta

I'm missing my sweet Barney...

No comments:

Post a Comment