Friday, March 15, 2024

March 15--Artist?

Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds.  --George Eliot

    I grew up with the idea that art was the "Mona Lisa," the stuff in museums, and ordinary folks like me had no hope of such extravagant talent. My high school art teachers made it clear that I should not plan to make a living from my artwork. My dad flatly stated, "There is no musical talent in the Miller family." I proved this for myself by failing the chorus audition, and ultimately failing at piano lessons in my late twenties. 
    Fast-forward to around seven years ago when I attended a drink-wine-and-learn-to-paint event with friends. Holy cow. Van Gogh I am not, but you could tell what I painted was flowers. I can paint! That inspired me to take several art classes at Wichita City Arts with varying degrees of success. The important part was that it got me thinking about what I could paint. 
    This had me considering that I am an artist. I have evolved as a painter, recognizing that I love straight lines. I have written and published two books. I have written the blog daily for years. I create beauty in my garden and flower pots. I have stained-glass stepping stones in my garden that I made years ago. I have turned many a skein of yarn into useful and beautiful blankets, scarves, etc. 
    So yes, you can call me an artist.
        Leta

The painting that started it all...

No comments:

Post a Comment