Sunday, March 3, 2024

March 3--Be Gentle!

The most fundamental aggression to ourselves, the most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves, is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently.  --Pema Chodron

    I think I should have typed the quote ending this way: "AND GENTLY." I've done a lot of looking at myself honestly, but harsh criticism tends to accompany the gazing. Why can't we be as gentle with ourselves as we are with a newborn baby? 
    "Honestly" tends to smack around "gently" because we have all done things we wish we hadn't, or we didn't do things we wish we had. We have shortcomings of various forms that have harmed relationships. We have wasted precious time. Life didn't turn out the way we expected, and we recognize that it is primarily our own creation. 
    I've spent the past few decades looking at myself, attempting to be honest and gentle. It has been a very interesting and rewarding effort, despite being quite unpleasant at times. I am on a quest to understand why I behave the way I do. There is always more to uncover. 
    Keep looking GENTLY!
        Leta
Panama City Beach...
I am well-acquainted with 
my love of the beach and water!

No comments:

Post a Comment