Saturday, September 24, 2022

September 24--Iron No More!

Life is a pure flame, and we live by an invisible sun within us. 
--Sir Thomas Browne

    The photo below is an article written by Christine Fellingham from the AARP magazine. You may be able to enlarge the photo and read the article. The title is "Dear Iron: I'm Breaking Up With You." 
    The article talks about iron sales declining, and how folks are instead using steamers, or wrinkle-release dryer settings, or easy-care fabrics, or just plain going wrinkled. This is decades overdue as far as I'm concerned.
    As a youngster, ironing was one of my jobs. I spent hours every week ironing sheets, shirts, pants, handkerchiefs, dresser scarves--you name it, my mom starched it and wanted it ironed. I HATE ironing. Those of you who know me well know that I have no problem appearing rumpled and wrinkled. I love the pre-wrinkled fabric available these days. When my husband and I moved in together 38 years ago, I announced (probably on day one), "I do not iron." I am pleased to say that he has ironed his shirts all these years (mostly taking them to a dry cleaner), and I have not. I pull out the iron occasionally for a sewing project, but that's it. 
    See, humanity's progress is slow, but it's happening!!!
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment