Sunday, September 18, 2022

September 18--Let's Step Aside

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship. 
--Louisa May Alcott

    Faith is a lovely topic, but I'm going to "step aside" for today and write a love letter to my two favorite baseball announcers. These are the Cubs pair, Jim "JD" Deshaies and Jon "Boog" Sciambi. They are both so clever and funny, or I might say so goofy and occasionally dumb. They play off of each other in a magical way. JD is tall and in great shape. He's a former major league pitcher, a lefty. Boog is quite round and clearly enjoys eating. His reddish hair is always messy, which he would probably blame on the headset he wears. He announces both radio and TV for a variety of sports in addition to the Cubs gig.
    Here's an example of their play-by-play:

A "rocket" base hit was struck off a pitch in what JD referred to as being in the player's "happy zone." 
Boog said: "JD, generally speaking, what's your happy zone?"
JD instantly replied: "It involves gravy."

    Both the guys are "extreme nerd" knowledgeable about the game. JD comes up with three clever "'Quees" (keys) to each game, often a play on words with an old TV show, movie or song. JD and Boog often state how much they appreciate the other one. There is often some dead silence coming from the broadcast booth because they are laughing so hard. 
    Now understand, the Cubs have sucked this year. They are on a pace to lose 90 games or more. I've watched nearly every game. Even when the Cubs are getting slaughtered, JD and Boog are entertaining. 
    JD is married. But Boog is not. If I were just a little younger and not married myself, I'd ask Boog to marry me. (Just kidding, sort of.) 
        Leta

Boog (left), JD (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment