Thursday, September 1, 2022

September 1--Faith

Without faith, nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible. 
--Mary McLeod Bethune 

    You guessed it--the September theme in "Daily Gratitude" is faith. Faith is defined in several ways according to Merriam-Webster:
  • "Allegiance to duty or a person": as in, I have faith in our Supreme Court justices (actually I don't)
  • "Fidelity to one's promises; sincerity of intentions": as in, I act in good faith by showing up as scheduled to teach my classes
  • "belief and trust in and loyalty to God or the traditional doctrines of a religion": as in, I have faith there is Something Bigger than me that keeps everything in divine order
  • "firm belief in something for which there is no proof": as in, I have faith that there is intelligent life on other planets
  • "complete trust": as in, I have faith that this mile-long bridge will stay upright and get me to the distant shore
  • "something that is believed with strong conviction, especially a system of religious beliefs": as in, she is a good and faithful Catholic (I can't apply this one to me as I no longer adhere to any particular system!)
    We shall see where our September exploration of faith takes us!
        Leta

I have great faith in human creativity...
Artwork at The Lyric in Fort Collins, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment