Sunday, March 7, 2021

March 7--Commitment

You have to pick the places you don't walk away from.  --Joan Didion

    "Commitment" can be a scary word. It conjures sticking with something enough to be accountable, a word that gives me the creepy-crawlies. I can certainly do "accountable," but I'm usually inclined to walk away at first. 
    What have I stuck with in my life? College, getting both B.S. and M.B.A. degrees. Marriage, 34 years and counting. Motherhood, 33 years and counting. 12-Step program, 33 years and counting. Tax prep work, doing my sixth year. Yoga teaching, nine years and counting. Coaching, going on 13 years. We've lived in the same home in Wichita for 36 years. I've been a regular lap-swimmer and golfer for decades. All these have been and continue to be blessings in my life. 
    What have I walked away from? My childhood home in Pennsylvania. Corporate technology work. My older brother Ken. Relationships wherein I was giving more than I was receiving. Addiction. The internal pressure of "you should do more." 
    We make choices. They are not always conscious, but we do make them. Walking away can prove to be a good thing or a bad thing. Fortunately, we can always make a different choice. 
        Leta
 

No comments:

Post a Comment