Sunday, March 14, 2021

March 14--Stormy Times

Once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain: When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about.  --Haruki Murakami

    This is so true. I can think of many storms in my life, some big, many smaller, and I don't know how I got through them, but I did. Yes, each one changed me. Going through rough times cannot help but change us. 
    I met someone yesterday who I am very hopeful can get me the new vehicle I want. My usual inclination is to shake hands, and due to the pandemic, we don't do that any more. For the first time, I actually had the conscious thought, "don't stick the hand out." The pandemic has changed our personal touching behavior, possibly forever. I feel some lingering sadness about that.
    Any time of great grief is a storm in life. Loss of a loved one, for example, feels like a bottomless pit of grief, and it seems like we can't possibly make it through. But we do, and we hopefully become more compassionate and empathetic as a result. The time-worn saying that the Universe doesn't give us any more than we can handle--it's true, but also proves that the Universe has more faith in our resilience than we may have. 
    I think of the many actual earthly atmospheric storms that move on our planet and cause great destruction. People who have suffered through those storms are living proof of Murakami's quote. 
    Let's celebrate our resilience!
        Leta

I've lived in the Land of Oz for almost 40 years and
have never seen one of these, thank heavens!


No comments:

Post a Comment