Sunday, December 6, 2020

December 6--Ideal Life

Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. 
--Mark Twain

    Yep, that pretty much covers it. "Good friends" means successful relationships with both friends and family. "Good books" means always having something that expands the mind. "A sleepy conscience" is one that is free of worry, guilt, distress, anything that would require amends. I feel like I've had great success with friends and books, but the sleepy conscience is an ongoing practice. I don't know that very many of us come out of our upbringing with a sleepy conscience. It took a 12-Step program to teach me that such a thing is even possible, and how to go about achieving it in a balanced life. The voice in my head that says "You should do more" is not compatible with a sleepy conscience. I'm learning what is mine to bring into my conscience and what is not mine to deal with, and that brings "sleepy" much more often within reach. I've also learned that gut feeling that lets me know I need to make amends--my conscience is wide awake and fussing. Quickly admitting my mistakes allows my conscience to become sleepy again. The inner peace of a sleepy conscience does make for the ideal life. 
    Is it nap time yet? 
        Leta

Barney, perfect example of a sleepy conscience 😉😉


No comments:

Post a Comment