Monday, September 7, 2020

September 7--Happy Now

Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.  
--Guillaume Apollinaire

    This quote makes me smile. The macrocosm, the big picture, what we are all here for seems to be the pursuit of happiness. I believe we came here to figure out what makes us happy. We came here to enjoy, not to suffer. We can, however, get quite caught up in following paths that we think lead to happiness only to find that they are dead-ends. Some of those paths could be fame, riches, the big house, a corner office or luxury vehicles. There's nothing wrong with any of those, it's just that they are often not the happiness pinnacle we anticipate. 
    The "pursuit of happiness" is a future-oriented thing--someday I'll get it. To "just be happy" requires centering in the present moment. It's a state of contentment with what I have, what I do, how my relationships are, and being at peace with my inner state. Can I be happy all the time? Probably not, life happens to distract me from the present. But no matter how difficult the present circumstance may be, if I can take a deep breath and be present, I recognize that I do have solutions and the resources to implement them. That makes for happiness. 
    All is well,
        Leta

[Addendum to yesterday's post on Self-Care: "Loving yourself... does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion." --Margot Anand]

Tie-Dyed Smiley Face - Smiley Face - Sticker | TeePublic
Couldn't resist!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment