Thursday, September 24, 2020

September 24--I Digress

Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials. 
--Lin Yutang

    I leave this quote to you, dear readers, to ponder for yourselves.
    Today is a memorable day for me that I feel I must acknowledge. 41 years ago today my mother died. 20 years ago today my father died. Yep, same date. What are the chances of that happening? That's a rhetorical question--I know there is a statistical answer. I don't believe in coincidence. Maybe it happened that way so I'd pack all my sadness into one day only? My mother passed when I was just shy of age 24. She's been gone so long, it's almost like I never had a mother. While I think of her often, I don't miss her. My dad, however--I miss him every day. My parents didn't get along with each other, so maybe my dad did it to piss off my mom, so that she couldn't have her very own solo day. September has often been a rough month for me, but I don't know if that started before or after or between their deaths. In any case, both parents dying in the same month is one of the biggest black marks one could smear on a month. 
    I never thought I'd hear this Libra say this, but I'm tired of the September theme of "Balance." Peeking ahead to October, I see the theme of "Tranquility." Hallelujah! October is also my birth month, and it's my favorite month of the year--the upswing after September. 
    Thanks for putting up with my digression. Six more days till October,
        Leta

P.S. It turns out that Green Day does a song that's relevant. You can listen here:



No comments:

Post a Comment